07 October 2013

sometimes there is value in something unexpected

Today I began a new adventure.  One telephone call sometimes leads to so much. Since my valuation career began in 1986 with Harvey Hooks & Associates, I have only REALLY been self-employed. (In the interest of full disclosure, I did a gig for a local Chattanooga brokerage managing for 12 months, but not as an appraiser).

About eighteen moths ago, I spoke with a much respected colleague and mentor about my next step as an appraiser. I had done some review work, but believed that further experience and more full time review appraising would make me a better appraiser and expert witness.  I asked him how I might go about that.

Fast forward to a conversation with the right of way procurement folks at Tennessee DOT and with their encouragement, I applied for a job, in Chattanooga of all places, as a staff review appraiser.  My major concern was continuing my appraisal and litigation support practice. They said 'no problem' and offered me the position.

One nights' sleep was all I needed to accept. I look forward to this new challenge. Everyone I have met so far at TDOT has been great!  

I am grateful for the opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment